LinkedIn Corporation (LinkedIn) is a professional network on the Internet with more than 90 million members in over 200 countries and territories. Through the Company’s platform, members are able to create, manage and share their professional identity online, build and engage with their professional network, access shared knowledge and insights, and find business opportunities. Its platform provides members with solutions, including applications and tools, to search, connect and communicate with business contacts, learn about career opportunities, join industry groups, research organizations and share information. Its members create profiles that serve as their professional profiles and are accessible by any other member, as well as anyone with an Internet connection.
- LinkedIn started out in the living room of co-founder Reid Hoffman in 2002.
- The site officially launched on May 5, 2003. At the end of the first month in operation, LinkedIn had a total of 4,500 members in the network.
- Roughly one million new members join LinkedIn every week, at a rate equivalent to a professional joining the site faster than one member per second.
- The company is privately held and has a diversified business model with revenues coming from user subscriptions, advertising sales and hiring solutions.
- LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with more than 100 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- More than half of LinkedIn members are currently located outside of the United States.
- There were nearly two billion people searches on LinkedIn in 2010.
- Headquartered in Mountain View, Calif., LinkedIn also has U.S. offices in San Francisco, Chicago, New York and Omaha, Neb. International LinkedIn offices are located in Amsterdam, Dublin, London, Paris, Sydney, Toronto and Mumbai, India.
- The company’s management team is comprised of seasoned executives from companies like Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, TiVo, PayPal and Electronic Arts. The CEO of LinkedIn is Jeff Weiner.
- LinkedIn is currently available in six languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
- LinkedIn started off 2011 with about 1,000 full-time employees located all around the globe, up from around 500 at the beginning of 2010.
- 100m+ professionals around the world as of March 2011
- 20m+ members in Europe as of December 2010
- 5m+ members in the UK as of December 2010
- 1m+ members in France
- 2m+ members in the Netherlands
- 1m+ members in Italy
- 1m+ members in the DACH region (Germany, Austria and Switzerland)
- 1m+ members in Spain
- 9m+ members in India
- 3m+ members in Canada
- 3m+ members in Brazil
- 2m+ members in Australia
- As of April 2011, LinkedIn counts more than 11 million recent college graduates* around the world as members (*LinkedIn defines recent graduates as members who have graduated within the last five years--between 2005 and 2010.).
LinkedIn and Business
- As of January 2011, LinkedIn counts executives from all 2010 Fortune 500 companies as members; its hiring solutions were used by 73 of the Fortune 100 companies as of March 22, 2011.
- More than 2 million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages.
- LinkedIn represents a valuable demographic for marketers with an affluent & influential membership.
- Thousands of developers are using LinkedIn APIs to create innovative tools and services for professionals.